TECHNICIAN CASE REPORT SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Deadline for Case Report submission is 11:59 p.m. (Central Time) July 1, 2018.
- Unique and interesting case management scenarios are encouraged for submission. There is no limitation to the species or specific scenario, except that the emphasis should be on the emergency and critical care nursing aspect of the case. Small animal, large animal, exotic, toxicology, internal medicine, and surgery cases are welcome.
- Case report presentations are limited to individuals that have NO prior lecturing experience in order to make this a learning experience for those individuals that might be considering lecturing in the future. Recipients of any prior case report awards are also ineligible to present.
- Candidates should be a credentialed veterinary technician (CVT, LVT, LVMT, or RVT) and members of VECCS. All case reports must be initially assessed by a licensed DVM or if applicable a board certified specialist (ACVS, ACVAA, ACVIM ACVECC…). The individual or assessor is required to initially ensure the quality of the case report being submitted.
- On request, candidates who are selected to present at IVECCS will be assigned an AVECCT or VECCS member to mentor and to assist in the final preparation of the case for its presentation.
- Please submit a brief synopsis of the case using the following outline:
- Introduction (including the unique or interesting aspect of the case).
- Synopsis of the case should follow a standard outline where applicable:
- Presenting complaint
- Triage or Initial Assessment
- Vital signs, Physical findings,
- Resuscitation, Stabilization or Intervention
- Patient care, and recovery phase: therapeutics, monitoring
- Final Outcome
- Discussion: Should center on specific nursing care and interventions pertaining to the case being presented.
- Conclusion: Should also include nursing key points learned from case, specials skills and/or specialized monitoring equipment utilized during the case management.
- Presentation format should be similar to the synopsis submission. Presentations are limited to a total of 15 minutes each: 10-12 minutes with 3-5 minutes permitted for questions from the audience. Each presentation will be timed so that all case reports can be presented in the allotted time.
- Presentations should be created using PowerPoint and brought on a USB drive. IVECCS will have the basic equipment for computer generated presentations. Please plan in advance and evaluate the equipment prior to presentation.
- Each case report presentation will be evaluated by independent individuals and an award will be given for the overall best presentation. Evaluation guidelines will include the unique qualities of the case, the actual presentation quality, ability to present within the allotted time frame and response to questions from the audience. This year’s best case report will receive a $300.00 prize awarded during the IVECCS general session.
Please submit your case synopses through this form
DEADLINE for submission is July 1, 2018, however, a maximum of ten reports will be accepted. If more than ten acceptable reports are submitted, presenters will be selected based on the quality of the case, and early submission is encouraged for thorough evaluation.