The Board of Directors of the Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society are honored to offer the fourth annual Steve Haskins Memorial Scholarship in 2017. Dr. Haskins was a pioneer of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, and his untimely passing remains a huge loss for our profession and society. He was truly an amazing individual who remained a tireless force for the improvement of the lives of animals through advancement of veterinary emergency and critical care.
The purpose of this scholarship is to provide support for eligible VECCS members who may not otherwise be able to attend (due to financial limitations) the International Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Symposium. Dr. Haskins was the only individual to have spoken at every IVECCS meeting, and was presented the President’s Award at IVECCS 2013 to recognize his unique contributions to our Society and specialty. This scholarship was first awarded to eight recipients in 2014 as a way for VECCS to give back to our profession, support our members, and promote the VECCS mission: “Improving access and quality of emergency and critical care to every patient in need”.
The details of the award are as follows:
Two specific groups may apply –
- Residents in good standing in the first or second year of an ACVECC-approved residency training program. Must also be a current VECCS member in good standing at the time of application.
- Licensed veterinary technicians engaged in emergency or emergency/critical care practice for no less than three years. Must also be a VECCS member in good standing at the time of application.
NOTE: If you have received the Steve Haskins award in the past you are not eligible to receive another award with the exception that technician scholarship recipients are eligible to reapply for the award after a period of five years.
- Scholarship Value: Approximately $1,700 per recipient. Each recipient will receive a $500 stipend to cover travel and incidental costs plus complimentary four-night hotel stay at an IVECCS-approved conference hotel location, IVECCS 2017 registration, and one year VECCS membership for the year following the meeting.
- Number of scholarships: Four scholarships for technicians and four scholarships for residents will be awarded for 2017.
Application Requirements (see links for forms below):
- Submit a completed application form.
- Nomination form in support of application emailed from primary supervisor (technician) or resident mentor (ACVECC residents).
- Completed application and mentor/ supervisor nomination forms should be emailed to Dr. Chris Gray, Treasurer, VECCS, at email@example.com.
Recipients Will Be Determined by Way of a Point System:
Each application will be ranked based on a point system. The maximum number of points that may be earned is 15 (technicians) and 14 (residents). The four highest ranked applicants in each category (residents, technicians) will receive scholarships. A lottery will be used if more than four individuals in each category have maximum point scores.
Method for Awarding Points:
Technicians Point System
- VTS-ECC certified (2 points)
- Past IVECCS presentations (1 point for each year with a max of 5 points)
- Prior work for IVECCS (moderator, technician, etc.) or VECCS committee work (1 point for each year with a max of 5 points)
- VECCS member in consecutive years prior to scholarship application year (1 point per consecutive year for max of 3 points)
Residents Point System
- Current 2nd Year (will be 3rd year at time of IVECCS) – 2 points
- Current 1st Year (will be 2nd year at time of IVECCS) – 1 points
- Presented at prior IVECCS (2 points)
- Submitted an abstract, poster, case report or resident focus presentation for upcoming IVECCS (2 points)
- Prior work for IVECCS (moderator, etc.) or committee work (1 point for each year with a max of 5 points)
- VECCS/ SVECC member in consecutive years prior to scholarship application year (1 point per consecutive year for max of 3 points)
Applications will be accepted through May 15, 2017, 9:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time. Scholarship recipients will be notified by June 5, 2017.
- Only the named recipient can use this award for the IVECCS 2017. If you know that you are not able to attend the meeting for 2017, please do not apply. If you receive the award and are unable to use the award for 2017 for any reason, your award will be forfeited and the award will be made to the next eligible person from the applicant pool.
- If you have agreed to participate in the IVECCS 2017 to a level that your travel expenses are already paid to include airfare and hotel, please do not apply for this award.
2017 VECCS Haskins Mentor/Supervisor Nomination Form
2017 VECCS Haskins Resident Scholarship Application
2017 VECCS Haskins Technician Scholarship Application